Monday, December 26, 2011

“You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.”

http://alexstutt5.blogspot.com/2011/12/paper-towns-archetypes.html

I have read Paper Towns by John Green also. I think it was a well written book that had a lot of mystery. It was also depressing in a way because we all wanted to like Margo for being herself-but how could we like someone that kept on running away from everyone/everything she loved?

I think that Alex did a great job with this blogpost. For the first part, she retold the story in her own words to get the viewer up to speed and then she added a bunch of her ideas in. She also gave many text examples to support her ideas. I agree with Alex when she says that this is a loss of innocence book-and almost a quest. Margo is very adventurous and likes to live life to its fullest. She is willing to take chances in life: whether they lead to a good or bad result. I also agree that both Margo and Quentin will learn something thanks to Margo's outgoing personality. To add to what Alex said, I think that not only will Quentin realize something but he will learn an important life lesson. He has always been the "goodie-goodie" and was the absolute opposite of Margo. Now since he's love struck, he will do anything for Margo which will benefit him in some ways too.

One thing that Alex says in her blog post is that she thinks that Quentin in the "Hero". I don't know exactly what she means by this but I don't think there is a "Hero" in this book. Even though Margo might seem like the Antagonist, it depends on the way that you look at things. Her and Quentin are both "feeding" off each other and learning to improve themselves. They both have things to contribute to their relationship. Quentin makes bad mistakes in this book too, it's not only Margo. I think that they both are considered the "Hero" in this book.

Another thing I would like to say is that later in the book you find out that Quentin's 2 best friends aren't always there for him. It might be just because they're guys but I discovered that Radar is a very independent person. Like any human, he gets mad at Quentin for being "obsessed" with Margo. After a while, he gets fed up with Quentin and doesn't want to help anymore. I guess this could happen with any relationship, but I don't think it's fair to say that "they will always be there for Quentin, and help him with whatever he needs". In reality, good friends are always there for their friends but it can vary depending on the situation.

Margo reminds me of Stargirl in Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli because they are both willing to stand out in society. They both are adventurous people who play by their own rules and don't do it just for attention. The only difference between Margo and Stargirl is that in school Margo is accepted and Stargirl isn't. Margo is the most popular girl in her grade-because of her uniqueness but someone like Stargirl can't even get accepted into her society. Results from being yourself can be different yet it is always the right choice.

I think Alex did an amazing job with her blogpost. I think it stood out from all her other ones is because it restated what was happening in the book well. It also didn't have any repetitive aspects and just went straight to the point. She had great ideas and thoughts that she expressed in this blogpost with a sophisticated vocabulary. It was also the perfect length.

I also think (as my conclusion and in response to Alex's blogpost) that there has to be some people like Stargirl and Margo who set examples for others. People who aren't afraid of being called "unique" because it's those people who make a change in the world. Those people are the people who invent stuff and bring people closer together. Soon everyone will realize that and start to love people for who they are (if they didn't already).

1 comment:

  1. Great post, and thanks! I really how you connected it to Stargirl, and used that connection to bring up some bigger points and ideas in your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete