Thursday, November 3, 2011

What really hard things are happening in the text?

     I just started reading the book Paper Towns, by John Green. Only on page 24, this book is about a guy named Quentin who likes this mysterious girl named Margo Roth Spiegelman. They have been friends for a long time but just recently, have became distant. Now in high school, she has become insanely popular and has a boyfriend named Jase. 


     One clear issue in this book is the issue of relationship. Quentin has many acquaintances in this book. One is with this girl named Margo. Even though she has a boyfriend, he still really likes her. They have known each other since they were little because they are neighbors. He has never been anything special to her but to him, she is the reason why he gets up everyday. In kindergarden they did everything together. He has also always looked up to her. Now, they don't speak much anymore because she is "popular" and he is not. 


     Digging deeper into this issue I realized many things. I think loving Margo so much will be a problem later in the book. If you are SO attached to someone, then you will do anything in your power to please them. I bet that if Margo came up to him and asked him for a crazy favor, he would do it in a instant because he loves her so much. Even though he is smart; love can make you chose bad decisions, do things you don't want to do or feel pressured because you have to make this "special" person happy. Another thing that could happen because he cares about her, is that she could make him break apart in an instant and she would't even realize it. If the littlest thing happened between them or she just got mad at him, he would feel like it's his fault. He would blame himself and put himself down. He wouldn't even be able to think straight because of his love for her. 


     I don't think there is an explanation to what causes him to like her. She is pretty, smart and mysterious. All I can say is that I think that by the end of the book, Quentin will learn a valuable lesson. I also don't think that any girl or guy is worth ALL your time thinking about. You should focus on your work and then if you meet a guy or a girl in process, then take the chance because you probably have something in common. Otherwise, let it go. I think Quentin will realize that there is more to life than just girls. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this blog post. You organized it perfectly. You also went really deep into each hard thing that is happening. You went really deep into the two issues, and you 'weaved' them together. I also liked that you used your own knowledge to make a statement, like when you said "If you are SO attached to someone, then you will do anything in your power to please them. Wonderful blog post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought this was one of my weakest blog posts and shortest because I really didn't read enough of the book to even get to the conflict-only 24 pages But I tried hard to relate it back to reality (and make it good) instead of jut trying to fill up space (as you can probably tell from the shortness of it)! But thankss a lot :)

    ReplyDelete